Tennis

‘Rafael Nadal always takes his body to the limit’, says top analyst

Five times winner. Four of the top 10 in the world. Three former champions. Two of the best in the game. A final winner. The countdown to the 31st Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships (DDFTC), which takes place from February 19 to March 4, begins today after organizers confirmed an impressive men’s field that will feature a host of new and established names, including four Grand Slams.

After what looks set to be a packed week of women’s action at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium, injury permitting World No. 2 Rafael Nadal and World No. 5 Novak Djokovic remain on course to top an impressive ATP lineup with four of the world’s top 10 men’s players, from February 25 to March 4.

Reigning Dubai champion Andrey Rublev (world no. 6), still going strong at the Australian Open, returns to defend his title and is joined by 2021 US Open winner Daniil Medvedev (world no. 8). The expanded field features nine of the top 20 in the world, including Olympic gold medalist Alexander Zverev, world no.

11 Hubert Hurkacz, 2014 US Open champion Marin Cilic, world No. 15 Pablo Carreno Busta, he doesn’t. World 20 Karen Kachanov, resident of Dubai. and a quarter-finalist at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium in 2020. “The Duty Free Tennis Championships have a long history of offering fans the opportunity to see the best players in the world,” said Colm McLoughlin, Executive Vice President and CEO of Dubai Duty Free.

“With seven of the top 20 men, including Novak, as well as last year’s winner Andrey Rublev and many others, spectators in Dubai will be in for another fantastic, must-see tournament next month”. Nadal’s return to the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, 15 years after his last appearance, was confirmed earlier this month.

However, the 22-time Grand Slam player suffered a grade 2 tear in his left pelvic area during the ongoing Australian Open and tournament organizers are in contact with his team.

Alex Corretja opens up for Rafa Nadal

Alex Corretja voiced his concern by taking to El Larguero’s airwaves to discuss Rafael Nadal’s defeat in the second round of the Australian Open and his hip injury, which will also sideline him for a period of 6 to 8 weeks.

“The goal is to prepare well to reach the clay court tournaments and not rush in these fast surface tournaments. He had difficult years, but the incredible thing is what he achieved last year: Australia was a miracle, he won Roland Garros with a limp … This is the key year because if he sees that he is not able to maintain the rhythm of seven Grand Slam matches he will think seriously about his future.

He always takes his body to the limit and he needs his body to be 100%. The hip is a sensitive area, it’s a normal frustration.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: