American tennis legend John McEnroe is clearly not happy with the fact that there is a strong chance that Novak Djokovic will miss out on the US Open because of his vaccination status. Djokovic, 35, was not allowed to compete at the Australian Open earlier this year after the Australian authorities revoked his visa and deported him from the country.
However, Djokovic was allowed to compete at the French Open and Wimbledon. On Sunday, Djokovic defeated Nick Kyrgios to win his seventh Wimbledon title and overall his 21st Grand Slam title. The United States authorities recently relaxed some of their COVID measures but individuals still have to show the proof of vaccination upon entering the country.
“These politicians are getting in the way too much,” McEnroe said on ESPN. “They did it in Australia. Let’s let the guy come in and play in the United States I mean, come on. This is ridiculous. Whatever you think the government should or should not do, it’s a bummer for tennis. “
McEnroe not happy Djokovic may miss out on the US Open
To no one’s surprise, reporters were quick to ask Djokovic questions related to the US Open following his Wimbledon victory. Djokovic kept it honest right from the start and made it clear he does not plan on taking the vaccine just so he could compete at the US Open.
“I’m not vaccinated and I’m not planning to get vaccinated so the only good news I can have is them removing the mandated green vaccine card or whatever you call it to enter United States or exemption,” Djokovic said.
“I do not know. I do not think exemption is realistically possible. If that is possibility, I do not know what exemption would be about. I do not know. I do not have much answers there.” Djokovic will likely miss out on the US Open and he has been banned from entering Australia for three years. If nothing changes, we may not see Djokovic again at the Grand Slam level until 2023 May (French Open).