Last week, Motorsport.com reported that Suzuki informed its race team of its intentions to quit MotoGP at the end of the 2022 season, with the Japanese marque confirmed on Thursday before the French Grand Prix it talks today to Dorna about the end. its contract is early.
The official reason given was due to the financial pressures caused by the COVID -19 pandemic, as well as changes in the automotive industry – though Suzuki’s financial figures published by it recently said it is looking for good health for this year.
PRIME: The seismic aftershock left by Suzuki’s decision to leave MotoGP
Mir, who made his MotoGP debut with Suzuki in 2019 and won a world title with the manufacturer in 2020, said the team was “one of the most special” in the paddock and was angry at the decision to quit for that reason.
“I’m outraged at the decision someone took,” Mir said Thursday at Le Mans.
“The team is great, it’s one of the special teams in the paddock – the people who work here make it very special.
Joan Mir, Team Suzuki MotoGP
Photo by: Gold and Goose / Motorsport Images
“I got here four years ago, but there are a lot of people working here who have preceded me.
“They struggled to be champions in 2020, last year in third [in the standings]this year again.
“It’s a manufacturer that’s basically been fighting for championships every year since I’ve been here.”
Mir’s future is in the air now, though it’s likely that his next move will be to Honda next year with Marc Marquez.
The Spaniard confirmed his manager was in talks with Honda, but did not offer much comment on his 2023 plans.
“From Jerez, we’re officially in the market,” Mir said, when asked by Motorsport.com if the rumors linking him to Honda were true.
“Suzuki and I talked before it all happened – now, sure, my manager will have more work than he expected.
“He’s talking to Honda, along with various manufacturers to try to fit my future out of Suzuki. Yes, it’s not easy.”