Former Wales captain Gareth Bale has said he will play at the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf event in February after announcing his retirement from professional football earlier this month.
Bale, 33, will play alongside professionals and other celebrities in the event, which starts in February. 2 in California.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, tomorrow (USA)
He said in an Instagram post: “I’m happy to announce that I will be playing in the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am at the start of next month! Let’s go.”
The former Real Madrid striker is known for his love of golf. During his time at the Bernabeu, he faced backlash from his own supporters after posing with a banner that read: “Wales. Golf. Madrid. In that order.”
Contestants for the tournament include actor Bill Murray and Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the celebrity section, and US Open champion Matt Fitzpatrick and world No. 5 Patrick Cantlay on the professional side.
Bale announced his retirement from football earlier in January. He won 22 trophies in his career, including five Champions League titles with Madrid and the MLS Cup with Los Angeles FC.