USMNT vs. Serbia
25 January 2023
BMO Stadium; Los Angeles, California.
Kickoff: 10:07 PM ET on HBO Max, UNIVERSO, Peacock & Telemundo App
Social Media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; US Soccer on Facebook, The US Soccer App
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Serbia: 24-Gaga Slonina, 2-Julian Gressel, 3-Walker Zimmerman (Capt.), 5-Jonathan Gómez, 8-Brandon Vazquez, 10-Paxton Pomykal, 14-Alan Soñora, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Cade Cowell, 20 -Cade Cowell, 20-Paxton Pomykal -Aidan Morris, 22-Jalen Neal
Replacements: 1 Sean Johnson, 4 DeJuan Jones 6 Paxten Aaronson, 7 Paul Arriola, 9 Jesus Ferreira, 11 Emmanuel Sabbi, 12 John Tolkin, 13 Matthew Hoppe, 15 Aaron Long, 16 Sam Rogers, 19-Eryk Williamson, 23-Kellyn Acosta
GAME NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SERBIA
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Walker Zimmerman (38), Cade Cowell (2), Jonathan Gómez (2), Paxton Pomykal (2), Julian Gressel (1), Aidan Morris (1), Jalen Neal ( 1), Gaga Slonina (1), Alan Soñora (1), Brandon Vazquez (1), Alex Zendejas (1)
- Today’s USMNT Starting XI has an average age of 23 years, 18 days and has an average of four caps.
- Nine of the 11 starters are 24 or younger: Alan Soñora, Brandon Vazquez and Alex Zendejas (24); Paxton Pomykal (23); Aidan Morris (21), Cade Cowell, Jonathan Gómez and Jalen Neal (19); Gaga Slonina (18).
- Seven starters will make their senior team debuts – the most first caps in a USMNT Starting XI since nine players debuted in a friendly against Guatemala on January 10, 1988.
- At 18 years, 255 days, Gaga Slonina becomes the youngest goalkeeper to play for the USMNT, surpassing Tony Meola, who made his debut at age 19, by 106 days on June 7, 1988 vs. Ecuador.
- Two of the three capped starters made their USMNT debut at Dignity Health Sports Park. Both Cade Cowell and Jonathan Gómez came off the bench to help the USA earn a 1-0 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina on December 18, 2021.
- Seven starters are dual nationals: Cowell, Gomez, Vazquez and Zendejas (US and Mexico); Gressel (USA & Germany), Soñora (USA & Argentina), Slonina (USA & Poland)
- The lone World Cup veteran in the Starting XI, center back Walker Zimmerman captains the USMNT for the seventh time tonight.
- Three starters are internationally based: Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG), Jonathan Gómez (Real Sociedad/ESP) and Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX). Midfielder Alan Soñora most recently played for Argentina’s Independiente but is currently unattached to a club.
- The seven remaining players are based in MLS: Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati ). ) and Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC).
- Born in Ciudad Juarez, Alex Zendejas joins Martin Vasquez and William Yarbrough as the third player born in Mexico to represent the USMNT during the team’s modern era (1990-present). Zendejas now calls El Paso, Texas his hometown.
- Should Paxten Aaronson come off the bench tonight, he and older brother Brenden Aaronson would become the eighth set of brothers to earn appearances for the USMNT and the first pair to do so since Pedro and John DeBrito, who made their debuts in 1983 and 1991, respectively .
- With the USMNT fielding 23 players tonight, goalkeeper Roman Celentano is a healthy scratch from the gameday squad. Six substitutions are allowed at six different moments. Pause does not count as a replacement moment.
- The USMNT is 0-2-1 all-time against Serbia. The teams last played to a 0-0 draw on January 29, 2017 in San Diego.
- Daneon Parchment from Jamaica is the referee for today’s match. He previously officiated the 1-1 draw against Chile on March 26, 2019 in Houston, the 2-0 loss to Canada in Concacaf Nations League play on October 15, 2019 in Toronto and the 2-1 win against Costa Rica in World Cup Qualifying on October 13, 2021 in Columbus.